Upated post: WES ECA for Canada immigration. World Education Services (WES) is designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to provide Educational Credential Assessments (ECA) for degrees and diplomas earned outside of Canada. An ECA is required to apply for certain IRCC immigration programs in order to verify that applicants’ foreign degrees, diplomas, and certificates have a valid Canadian equivalent.
WES recently announced that immigration applicants only need to submit their highest completed credential. As of November 2020, those who have a PhD do not need to submit a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree to be assessed. The same goes for those who have a master’s degree, or a bachelor’s degree.
Under the new rules, sending in all of the academic credentials in addition to the highest one can now actually slow down the process. WES asks that you do not submit any additional credentials for assessment, as it will slow down the process.
Foreign nationals need an ECA when they completed their education outside of Canada and want to:
- be eligible as the principal applicant for Federal Skilled Workers Program under Canada’s Express Entry, system or;
- earn points for education they got outside Canada.
Foreign nationals can also earn points for their spouse or common-law partner’s education, if they are also coming to Canada with them.
You may pre-qualify for a Canada immigration program.
“There are currently four exceptions,” WES notes on its website. “Those exceptions apply to people with a master of education, master of engineering, master of philosophy, or master of technology degree.”
View a sample ECA evaluation. No need for WES ECA for Canada Login to view sample.
With a WES ECA you can:
- Meet IRCC Educational Credential Assessment requirements (note for physicians and pharmacists).
- Gain recognition for your education so you can pursue your goals in Canada.
- Store your report and verified educational documents for future use.
Your WES ECA is valid for five years from the date of issue, and you can continue using your ECA when you submit a new Express Entry profile.
Note: WES does not evaluate occupational or trade qualifications. For more information about IRCC immigration programs, visit the IRCC website.
ECAs submitted for immigration purposes must not be more than five years old when applicants submit their Express Entry profile, or apply for permanent residence.
Professionals coming to Canada will have their credentials assessed by their respective professional organizations in Canada. For example, ECAs for physicians are done by the Medical Council of Canada. Pharmacists’ ECAs are done by the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada.
Applicants for Canadian immigration do not need to obtain an ECA from organizations designated by IRCC if they:
- Have Canadian post-secondary education credentials of at least one year or;
- Can demonstrate that they have personal net worth of $50 million in Canadian dollars or more acquired via lawful, private sector business or investment activities and have applied for exemptions.
All ECAs need to:
- have a date of issue on or after the date on which the organization was designated by IRCC;
- be less than five years old on the date that IRCC receives the application and;
- show that the completed foreign credential equates to a completed Canadian post-secondary credential of at least one year.
- be issued from an organization or a professional body designated by IRCC.
WES Canada Form
For higher or continuing education, licensure, and employment, select the WES Standard Application.
For immigration purposes, select the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) Application for Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Note: Only completed degrees or diplomas can be evaluated for the IRCC application. WES does not evaluate occupational or trade qualifications.
WES Canada Login
Once you have registered you can then enter your account with the WES Canada Login.
WES Canada Required Documents
See Required Documents here or use WES form below.
WES Canada Fees & Payment
- Your payment must be received before an evaluation can be completed.
- WES accepts payment by credit card, cheque/money order, or Western Union. Instructions are provided during the payment process.
Once you submit your application, you will receive a WES reference number. Be sure to write this down and include it on all documents, envelopes, and correspondence with WES. This helps track your records and avoid delays in service.
WES Canada Evaluation Steps
WES uses a three-step evaluation process:
- Submit your application.
- Submit your documents.
- WES will verify your credentials, create your report, and deliver it to your recipients.
WES comprehensive evaluation process includes:
- Verification of authenticity of all credentials
- A thorough analysis of your coursework
- Routine quality checks on each report
- A digital badge you can use to display your verified credentials on social media sites like LinkedIn.
This process ensures your WES evaluation is widely accepted and preferred by more than 2,500 educational, business, licensing and governmental institutions throughout the U.S. and Canada. WES is a member of NACES, an organization of independent credential evaluation services in the United States, and the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada.
WES works quickly to complete your evaluation and offer delivery options to make sure your report arrives quickly:
- Seven-business-day completion time once you apply and all required documents have been received and accepted (20 business days for ECA evaluations for Canada immigration).
- Multiple express delivery options for your report, including three- to five-day delivery, two-day air delivery, and overnight courier.
WES Canada Tools for Success
WES provides a wide range of helpful tools and advice, all completely free.
Through WES Advisor you are connected to advice from both experts and people just like you, and cover a wide range of topics on working and studying in the U.S. and Canada. We also offer a free tool called International Degree Preview which tells you more about what your degree is comparable to in Canada. Not all degrees and institutions may be available.
Use WES Tools are resources to guide and empower you on your journey. Use them as often as you like to make the college application and immigration process easier.
WES Webinars & Events a list of live and on-demand events are designed to assist international students and skilled immigrants in their quest to pursue an education or career in the United States or Canada.
WES Advisor Blog gives regular trusted advice for Academic and Professional success.
WES Advisor E-Guides provide free tips and advice for international students and skilled immigrants in the U.S. and Canada.
WES Canada Contact
The WES contact center is open to answer calls and email messages from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Eastern) Monday through Friday. The center is closed on weekends.
See also WES Canada Questions & Answers
You may pre-qualify for a Canada immigration program.