Canada released a report on July 14, 2021 that highlights paths to success for Canada newcomers in using Canada newcomers settlement services.
The report is entitled Settlement Outcomes Highlights Report. It is a high-level analysis and summary of the immigrant experience in Canada.
The report examines the successes and challenges of Canada newcomers from 2015 to 2019. The report focuses on newcomers use of settlement services under Canada Settlement Program.
According to the report by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), Canada newcomers
- give high marks to the settlement services offered to them and
- see these services as crucial in setting newcomers up for success in Canada
What is Canada Newcomers Settlement Program?
“Settlement services play a fundamental role in our immigration system. They’re the key ingredient of a newcomer’s success in Canada—whether it’s help getting a job, finding a place to live or learning English or French. With immigration playing a central role in our post-pandemic recovery, these findings will help us ensure that every new Canadian has what they need to thrive in this country.”
– The Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, P.C., M.P., Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
IRCC manages the Settlement Program, which is delivered by 572 local service provider organizations across Canada (outside of Quebec).
All Canadian permanent residents and protected persons are eligible for IRCC-funded settlement services.
From April 1, 2015, to March 31, 2019, more than 1 million Canada newcomers received settlement services in Canada.
Settlement services give newcomers the information they need about life in Canada and their new community. Services such as language training, help finding a job, and connections with established immigrants and Canadians.
Between 2015 and 2019, clients of IRCC-funded domestic settlement services were
- 48% economic class principal applicants or their spouses/dependants
- 25% family class immigrants
- 23% resettled refugees or protected persons
- 92% of newcomers agreed that their community was welcoming to newcomers
For a list of settlement services and how/where to get them, see for instance:
The Settlement Outcomes Highlights Report
Canada newcomers reported that overall settlement services are vital to their Canadian experience. For example
- improving their English or French
- assisting in finding work, and as well as
- helping them connect with their communities
The report also draws attention to areas where Canada can improve. These include
- firstly, increasing awareness of settlement services and uptake by Canada newcomers
- secondly, filling gaps in information and
- thirdly, further examining potential barriers
Another key finding of the report is that the settlement experience is different for many Canada newcomers. Digging into individual settlement outcomes will certainly help improve services and meet individual needs of newcomers.
These findings will significantly help to ensure that the Settlement Program meets the needs of newcomers and communities welcoming them.
The report will also be critical to addressing the economic and social gaps faced by many new Canadians. In addition the findings are critical to breaking down systemic barriers and other obstacles to newcomers’ success.