In the March 30 Arrima draw, the province of Quebec issued 208 invitations through its Arrima Expression of Interest system, to candidates in the Regular Skilled Worker Program (RSWP). The draw issued invitations to candidates who had an Expression of Interest (EOI) profile in Quebec’s online immigration registration portal, Arrima.
Candidates who received an invitation in the March 30 Arrima have 60 days to submit a full application to the Quebec Skilled Worker Program.
The draw was aimed primarily at candidates with a job offer, but also included included people who were staying in Quebec as a diplomat, consular officer, a representative for the United Nations or any intergovernmental organization that carries out operations in Quebec. For more information, see section 26 of the Regulation respecting immigration to Québec (CQLR, chapter I-0.2.1, r.3).
Quebec Immigration Programs Overview
The province of Quebec administers its own immigration programs and the selection criteria are distinct from those of federal and other provincial immigration programs.
Why choose Québec?
Because immigrants to Québec find good job opportunities and one of the best qualities of life in the world—both in urban centres and outlying regions. Because in Québec you can achieve your goals, push your limits and expand your horizons. Because Québec allows you to lead a full life. It’s as simple as that!Immigrating to Quebec to work
Candidates must undergo a two-step immigration process.
You may pre-qualify for a Canada immigration program.
To immigrate to Quebec under the Regular Skilled Worker Program (RSWP), candidates must first submit an EOI through Arrima. The Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) reviews the bank of profiles and issues invitations to those who meet specific criteria based on labour market needs in Quebec.
Applicants selected by MIDI will receive a Quebec Certificate of Selection (CSQ). A CSQ is valid for 24 months or until a decision has been rendered by the Immigration, Refugees and citizenship Canada (IRCC) with respect to the permanent resident visa application.
Currently, candidates who want to settle in Quebec can apply for a CSQ in one of the following categories:
The CSQ merely attests to the fact that the candidate has been selected by the province. It is not a visa, so it cannot be utilized to enter into Canada.
NOTE: If you are a foreign student, Québec graduate or skilled temporary foreign worker employed in Québec, and you wish to settle in Québec permanently, you can apply under the Programme de l’expérience québécoise (Québec experience program). It makes permanent immigration to Quebec quick and easy.
2. An approved CSQ holder must file a permanent residence application with IRCC within 24 months since the date the CSQ was issued.
The federal government’s role in evaluating a Quebec application for permanent residence is mainly limited to issues of health and criminality. The candidate must submit an application for PR with IRCC and provide police certificates and medical exams.
How does Quebec Expression of Interest work?
Anyone wishing to immigrate to Québec under the Regular Skilled Worker Program must go through the Arrima portal. The Arrima immigration application management system is based on an expression of interest and follows a three-step process:
- First, you must complete an expression of interest form online. You will need to enter certain information, such as your education, language skills, and work experience.
- The Ministère reviews the bank of expressions of interest and issues invitations to applicants who meet certain criteria, based on labour market needs in the different regions of Québec. Those individuals can submit a permanent selection application (official immigration application) and pay the associated fees.
- Applications will be evaluated using the selection grid in effect.
Selection factors and criteria
Selection is made on the basis of a selection grid, with points awarded on the basis of various selection factors and criteria. The assessment of your application will determine whether you obtain a sufficient number of points to be selected by Québec. The Summary grid of factors and criteria used to select regular skilled workers (PDF, 138 kB) presents the selection factors and criteria, but also the weighting and the passing scores that apply to skilled workers, as stipulated in Québec Immigration Regulation and the Regulation respecting the weighting applicable to the selection of foreign nationals.
Selection factors in the point grid
The selection factors and criteria are designed to assess your social and professional profile (as well as your spouse’s, if applicable) and help determine your potential for integrating into the Québec labour market and Québec society? The factors and criteria considered are:
- Your training (level of education and area of training). Only diplomas obtained before the submission of your application are considered in the attribution of points for the Education Level criterion;
- Your work experience
- Your age
- Your knowledge of French and English
- Your stays in Québec and family relationship with a Canadian citizen or a permanent Québec resident
- Having a permanent employment offer validated by the Ministère. See the section International recruitment – Hiring a permanent foreign worker
- Characteristics of your accompanying spouse or de facto spouse, if applicable
- Other factors, incuding the number of children under the age of 22 who will be accompanying you to Québec
- Your capacity for financial self-sufficiency (you must sign a contract in which you undertake to provide for your needs and your family’s needs for at least the first three months following your arrival in Québec).
Your 7-step procedure to immigrate to Quebec
- Find out about Québec
Are you interested in living in Québec? Getting informed is a simple and inexpensive way to determine if your immigration project is feasible.
- Know the conditions of the Regular Skilled Worker Program and find out about the immigration process.
- Submit an application for permanent immigration
To apply to immigrate, you first must submit an expression of interest through Arrima portal. You can complete and update your expression of interest form at any time, free of charge.
Those who have submitted an expression of interest and whose profiles meet Québec’s needs are invited by Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration to apply for permanent selection. If you receive an invitation and wish to continue with the process, you must apply for permanent selection and send the Ministère the supporting documents required to process your application
- Submit an application for permanent residence to the Government of Canada.
- Prepare before your departure for Québec.
You will soon discover new horizons in Québec, where you have decided to settle. Take advantage of the waiting period for your permanent residence visa to prepare yourself well and take certain steps while you are still abroad. This will ease your integration in Québec after your arrival.
- Proceed to Québec’s reception service at the Montréal airport
You have arrived at your destination! Consult this section for an overview of entrance reception formalities.
- Continue taking steps to successfully integrate into Québec
To make your integration process as smooth as possible, find out about the first steps to follow when you arrive in Québec as well as the services offered by the government and its partner organizations to facilitate your integration.
Quebec’s planned immigration levels
The province of Quebec recently announced an increase in immigration targets for the coming years. In 2021, Quebec aims to welcome up to 47,500 newcomers.
You may pre-qualify for a Canada immigration program.