As of September 7, 2021, fully vaccinated foreign nationals can come to Canada for discretionary (non-essential) purposes. As long as they comply with entry requirements.
Non-fully vaccinated foreigners are not able to enter Canada unless they meet exemption set out in Quarantine Orders. Otherwise, they will be denied entry into Canada, may be denied boarding on flights to Canada, and/or could face fines on arrival.
Exemptions for fully vaccinated travellers
If you qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption you are exempt from:
- Day-8 testing requirement
Regardless of citizenship, all travellers must meet and follow all of the same requirements.
Do you provide essential services? Or do you already qualify for other exemptions from quarantine and Day-8 testing? Then, you don’t need to be considered a fully vaccinated traveller to enter Canada. If you think you qualify for other exemptions, find out if your travel is exempt.
Check if you qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller
To qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption, you must have:
- no signs or symptoms of COVID-19
- received the full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine or a combination of accepted vaccines
- received your last dose at least 14 full days prior to the day you enter Canada
- Example: if your last dose was anytime on Thursday July 1, then Friday July 16 would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
- uploaded your proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN
- met all other entry requirements (for example, pre-entry test)
Accepted COVID-19 vaccines in Canada
- Pfizer-BioNTech Comirnaty (tozinameran, BNT162b2)
- Moderna Spikevax (mRNA-1273)
- AstraZeneca Vaxzevria/COVISHIELD (ChAdOx1-S, AZD1222), and
- Janssen/Johnson & Johnson (Ad26.COV2.S)
If you received your Government of Canada-accepted vaccines outside Canada, it’s still accepted. But you must upload proof of vaccination digitally in ArriveCAN. Also it must only be in French or English, or certified translation into French or English.
Vaccines that are not currently accepted
- Bharat Biotech (Covaxin, BBV152 A, B, C)
- Cansino (Convidecia, Ad5-nCoV)
- Gamalaya (Sputnik V, Gam-Covid-Vac)
- Sinopharm (BBIBP-CorV, Sinopharm-Wuhan)
- Sinovac (CoronaVac, PiCoVacc)
- Vector Institute (EpiVacCorona)
- Any other vaccine not on the list of acceptable vaccines above
Very importantly, note that the list of accepted vaccines may expand in the future.
No exceptions for partially-vaccinated travellers
Note that at this time, there are no exemptions from testing or quarantine for partially-vaccinated travellers.
Travelling with children or dependents who are not fully vaccinated
Unvaccinated children under the age of 12 accompanying fully vaccinated travellers:
- must follow all testing requirements for pre-entry, arrival and Day-8 tests (unless under the age of 5)
- are exempt from quarantine as long as they follow the public health requirements
Travellers with unvaccinated 12- to 17- year- olds, or unvaccinated dependent adults will receive ArriveCAN notifications. Also will need to complete daily reporting for the unvaccinated travellers.
For more details see COVID-19 vaccinated travellers entering Canada.