Canada has successfully launched a portal system that allows individuals, in most cases, to confirm their permanent resident status without in-person interviews by immigration officers. The Canada PR confirmation portal, implemented as part of Canada’s coronavirus measure, provides access to permanent residents to share their personal information with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), declare that they are in Canada, confirm their address, submit a recent photo to be used to make their PR card, and get access to their proof of permanent resident status.
Why the Canada PR confirmation portal is important
Permanent residents (PRs) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires. If your PR card expires, it does not mean you have lost permanent resident status.
What you can do in the Canada PR confirmation portal
Through the Canada PR confirmation portal,
- you can declare you’re in Canada
- you can confirm your address
- you can submit a recent photo for IRCC to use to make your PR card
- IRCC can give you access to your proof of permanent resident (PR) status
- you can share personal information safely
- You can only have 1 profile on the portal per person. Each member of your family will have their own username and password
- The Canada PR confirmation portal is separate from your IRCC secure account. There’s no information about your applications and you can not check an application’s status on this portal
- You can not renew your PR card through the portal. Find out how to renew your PR card.
- A representative can not access the portal on your behalf.
How the Canada PR confirmation portal works
Once your PR application is approved, IRCC will
- send you an invitation to confirm
- if you want to use the portal
- your email address
- all email addresses for each person on your application
- create an account for you (you can’t create one yourself)
- send another email, after you confirm the above, with a link to the portal and instructions on how to sign in with your username and a temporary password
After the above steps are completed, you can
- sign in for the first time and create your own password
- confirm you are in Canada
- provide an updated home or postal address
- upload your photo (this must be a digital or scanned photo, not a picture of a paper photo taken with a camera or phone)
IRCC will review the photo you have submitted and, if accepted, will show this in the portal. You should get your PR card within one week at the the mailing address in Canada submitted in the portal. You can check the portal to see if your photo has been accepted.
Uploading and submitting photos
If IRCC reject or return your photo, you can resubmit a new photo into the portal. Make sure the new photo meets all the photo requirements listed in the portal before you upload a new one.
Reasons your photo may be rejected/returned
- photos are too dark
- facial features not visible
- glare on photo
- other reasons – see photo requirements for details
To submit a photo
- upload a photo – it can be
- a professional digital photo in JPEG or PNG format
- a scanned professional photo (don’t take a picture of a paper photo with your digital camera or phone)
- a selfie
- you can replace your photo with another photo up until when you submit it
- you don’t have to delete the previous photo to upload a new one (it automatically replaces the previous photo)
- press “submit” (once you do this, it can no longer be changed)