Canada’s Family Class Sponsorship permanent residence applications approval is set to rise significantly in 2022-2024. Canada’s latest Immigration Levels Plan – 2022-2024 targets approvals of over 320,000 Family Class Sponsorship applications during the Plan period.
Canada continues to emphasize that the reunification of families is a “top priority” in its Immigration Levels Plan. Canada’s Family Class Sponsorship programs are some of the most generous family reunification programs in the developed world.
Many Canadian citizens and permanent residents have loved ones abroad that they wish they could bring to Canada. Canada’s Family Class Sponsorship programs enable them to sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada.
There are plenty of options for Canadian citizens and permanent residents looking to bring their families to Canada. There are a number of relationships that qualify for Family Class Sponsorship. These include spouses and common-law partners, parents and grandparents, and dependent children. For parents and grandparents, there is also the Super Visa program.
How to sponsor your spouse or partner
There are many options for a Canadian permanent resident or citizen to bring a spouse to Canada. Whichever option you choose, it is important to satisfy the following eligibility requirements:
Requirements for the Sponsor:
- must be at least 18 years of age;
- must be a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada or a Canadian citizen;
- cannot be in prison, bankrupt, under a removal order (if a permanent resident) or charged with a serious offence; and
- cannot have been sponsored to Canada as a spouse within the last 5 years.
Requirements for the Sponsored Person:
- The sponsored person must be at least 16 years of age and
- The sponsored person must not be too closely related by blood to the sponsor.
If you’re sponsoring your spouse or partner, they may also be eligible for an open work permit. Find out how to apply.
Canada Immigration Levels Plans For Spouses, Partners and Children
|Spouses, Partners and Children||80,000||81,000||81,000|
How to sponsor your Parents or Grandparents
One of the most popular ways to bring a parent or grandparent to Canada is through Canada’s parents and grandparents sponsorship program.
Immigration targets through the Parents and Grandparents Program is set to rise by more than a third in the next three years. The latest Immigration Levels Plan targets 25,000 newcomers through the program in 2022, 28,500 in 2023 and a 2024 intake of 32,000.
That is a 36 percent increase on the 2021 target of 23,500 PGP newcomers.
The program has a yearly cap on the number of applications that are accepted. The cap for 2022 is 25,000. However there is also the Canada Super Visa Program. The program allows parents and grandparents to come to Canada on extended multi-entry visas for up to 10 years.
To learn more about these requirements and how they can be met see Canada Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship Program, and What is Canada Super Visa and Requirements?.
Eligibility to sponsor Parents or Grandparents under Canada’s Family Class Sponsorship
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Live in Canada.
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
- Have enough money to support those they want to sponsor by meeting minimum income requirements for the previous three years. Candidates can include a co-signer in their application, allowing the combined income to be considered.
Sponsors must also:
- Agree to financially support the parent or grandparent for 20 years from the date they are approved for permanent residence, and also
- Reimburse the government for any social assistance paid out to the parent or grandparent during that time.
How to sponsor a dependent child
Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have dependent children abroad can bring them to Canada under Canada’s Family Class Sponsorship.
Requirements for the Sponsor:
- must be 18 years of age;
- must be a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada or a Canadian citizen; and also
- not be in prison, bankrupt, under a removal order (if a permanent resident) or charged with a serious offence.
Requirements for the sponsored dependent child:
- The sponsored child must be in one of the following situations of dependency:
- Less than 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner; or
- Is 22 years of age or older and has depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before the age of 22. And is unable to be financially self-supporting due to a physical or mental condition.
Requirements for nature of the relationship:
- The Sponsored Person must be either:
- The biological child of the parent if the child has not been adopted by a person other than the spouse or common-law partner; or
- The adopted child of the parent.
For more information see Sponsoring a dependent child.
Check Canada’s Family Class Sponsorship Application Status online
Canada also recently launched a new application tracker for family sponsorship candidates to check the status of their file. See the tracker on IRCC website.