Canada’s Public Safety Minister Bill Blair announced in a tweet on Monday, October 19, that the Canada-U.S. border will be closed to non-essential travel until November 21. This is the seventh time that the border closure has been extended in 2020 in order to curtail the coronavirus pandemic. The last closure had been due to expire on October 21. Entry into Canada from the U.S. will not be permitted for people coming for non-essential purposes like tourism, shopping, or entertainment.
The Canada-U.S. border has been closed to all non-essential travels since March 21, 2020 with the government on both sides renewing the closure on a monthly basis.
We have committed to keeping Canadians safe and we keep extending the border closures because the States is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders.
We will continue to make sure that Canadian safety is top of mind when we move forward. We see the cases in the United States and elsewhere around the world, and we need to continue to keep these border controls in place.Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
The travel restrictions bar entry to all except citizens and permanent residents, with some exemptions.
Exemptions have been put in place for travellers in the following categories, provided they are travelling for a non-discretionary reason.
- Seasonal agricultural workers, fish/seafood workers, caregivers and all other temporary foreign workers have had travel restrictions eased.
- International students enrolled in Designated Learning Institutions that have coronavirus-readiness plans can start coming to Canada after October 20.
- Permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 18, 2020, but who had not yet travelled to Canada.
- Immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents are exempt if entering to be with an immediate family member for at least 15 days.
- Extended family members of citizens and permanent residents, and certain foreign nationals travelling on compassionate ground
All exempt travellers must self-quarantine for 14 days upon entering Canada.