Canada immigration TOEFL requirements - AfriCanada Immigration Inc.
Canada Increases Permits for Foreign Students   

Canada immigration TOEFL requirements

Canada immigration TOEFL

For Canada immigration TOEFL is only accepted for student visa applications. But TOEFL is the most popular English language proficiency test for foreign students admission. More than 80% of graduate programs in Canada prefer the TOEFL test over other English-language tests.  Canadian universities receive more TOEFL scores than all other English-language tests combined.

The preferred tests for other immigration purposes such as permanent residency as a skilled worker under Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) stream, are discussed below. TOEFL tests may however help you to strengthen your language proficiency and score highly in these other tests.


Canada has two official languages: English and French. English is the most commonly spoken language in most provinces and territories.

French is the main language spoken in Quebec and in some areas of Ontario, New Brunswick and Manitoba.

There are also francophone communities in all provinces and territories across Canada. Quebec has a large minority of residents who speak English.


The importance of language skills

English or French language skills are very important to help you settle in Canada. You may choose to focus on learning or improving one or the other. This will likely depend on which of the two languages most people speak in the area where you live.

Strong English or French skills will help with:

  • getting a job
  • going to school
  • accessing services
  • helping your children with school work
  • meeting and talking to people
  • getting your Canadian citizenship

Take steps to improve your French or English while you are still in your home country and as soon as you arrive in Canada.


If you already speak an official language, think about learning the other. In many parts of Canada, being able to speak both is an advantage for finding a job and taking part in your community.

The Language Portal of Canada has a variety of tools and resources to improve your language skills.

Language tests and certificates

In addition to immigration there are cases where you may need to prove your ability in either English or French, such as:

  • when you apply for a job
  • to get into a university or college

There are several language tests that are widely accepted. They will give you a certificate and test results that you can use for many purposes.

English language tests and certificates:


French language tests and certificates:

You can also find out about these tests from some government language testing centres or private language schools.

IELTS for Proficiency for English

If you plan to take the IELTS for English Language proficiency, you need to score minimum CLB 7 (Level 6 in all four abilities, i.e. Speaking, Reading, Listening (6-7), and Reading.

CELPIP FOR Proficiency for English

If you are taking CELPIP you require score CLB 7 (Level 7 in all four language abilities i.e. Speaking, Reading, Listening, and Reading.

NOTE: Canada’s Express Entry System is based on points awarded for several factors under IRCC’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). The higher your overall CRS score the higher your chances of receiving an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residency. As such you must try to achieve higher language proficiency score above the minimum (e.g. aim for CLB 8 or 9). Higher language proficiency level will increase your CRS score Express Entry system, and consequently, your chances of receiving ITA.


Language skills for work

The English or French skills you needed to be eligible to immigrate may not be strong enough for you to work in your field.

Most regulated jobs and trades require you to:

  • be fluent in English or French
  • have a strong knowledge of all work-related language
  • understand phrases or expressions used, some of which may be unique to Canada

Find out about the language requirements you must meet to work in your field. If needed, contact your regulatory body to learn about the type of language test that will be used to evaluate or assess you.

You may want to consider taking language classes or looking for bridging programs that offer both language training and work experience.

Language classes

You can take language classes to learn English or French once in Canada. Federal, provincial and territorial governments across Canada fund language classes. You’ll need to pay for private language classes.

To find information about other language training programs funded by the provinces or territories:

Testing your current language skills before you register

Before you start a class, you should get tested to find out your current language skills. Visit a language assessment centre in your city and tell them you’re interested in taking language classes.


You can do a self-assessment test to find out your current language level before doing a formal language test.

Language Training for Canada

Canada IELTS Requirements

Tips for Improving Express Entry CRS Scores

What is WES Canada?


Please share this to help others:
Need Canada immigration attorney? See List of Lawyers