Why Immigrate from Europe to Canada?
Unlike other countries, it is arguable that Europeans, Australians and New Zealanders do not find Canada particularly appealing to immigrate to. This is because Canada really doesn’t have a lot of advantages that a Western European country, Australia or New Zealand doesn’t already provide. After all, people migrate in search of a better life and generally speaking life in these countries is similar to Canada. The quality of life, education, the economy, health care, social benefits, etc. are similar.
Nevertheless, there are many reasons why a European may consider immigration to Canada including the following:
1) At the most basic young Europeans may love the adventure of immigrating to Canada.
2) European students who want International education should take advantage of the various Canadian International students immigration programs.
3) European entrepreneurs may want to set up businesses in Canada and remain in Canada for extended periods of time to manage their businesses; Canada’s economic immigration programs will appeal to them.
4) Canada has specifically designed certain immigration programs to attract professionals in such sectors as Information Technology. Europeans in the IT sector may find it professionally and economically attractive to immigrate to Canada via these programs.
5) The economic conditions in certain European countries are very bleak. In many nations, such as Spain and Greece the unemployment rate is more than double that in Canada. The rates are even worse when looking only at unemployed youth – those under the age of 25. Youth unemployment in Spain and Greece is at 49.6 and 45.6, respectively. Canada’s youth unemployment rate is 15 percent.
There are other reasons such as family ties, etc. If you are considering immigrating to Canada from Europe, Australia or New Zealand, you stand a good chance of qualifying under many Canadian economic immigration programs.
What Are Your Options for Immigrating to Canada?
Canada has more than 60 immigration programs. Which Canadian immigration program is right for you will depend on your goals and your particular situation.
The programs are not only multifarious but some tend to be quite complex with various categories and sub-categories. For example, there are many different categories for professionals and workers under which you might qualify for your Canada Immigration permanent resident visa. These include:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Quebec Skilled Worker Program
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- Canadian Experience Class
- Quebec Experience Class
- Federal Self-Employed Program
- Family Class Sponsorship
Which Canadian immigration program is best for Europeans?
The following factors may help you to begin to narrow down your options according to your situation and goals.
Do you have a post-secondary education in Europe, Australia or New Zealand?
Education is one of the major factors required to be eligible for many Canadian immigration programs. Programs like the Skilled Worker and Provincial Nominee Programs assign a point value to your education. Take our free assessment to see if your European education helps you to be eligible for one of Canada’s immigration programs.
Do you have a minimum of one year of skilled work experience in Europe, Australia or New Zealand?
Canada’s immigration programs are designed to favor candidates who are able to settle and sustain themselves economically and contribute to the economy. If you have at least one year of skilled work experience in Europe, Australia or New Zealand, you are deemed more likely to be able to assimilate into the Canadian labor market. Many Canadian immigration programs assign a point value for skilled work experience. Take our free assessment to find out if your work experience in your country may improve your application for Canadian immigration.
Do you have a valid Canadian job offer?
A Canadian job offer may enhance your eligibility for certain immigration programs. But first read the general requirements for working in Canada here Working in Canada.
Have you previously studied or worked in Canada or doing so now?
Europeans who have previously worked or studied, or are currently working or studying, in Canada have a path to becoming Canadian permanent residents via the Canadian Experience Class and Quebec Experience Class programs.
Canada also allows International students studying in Canada to work for three years after their graduation and to become Canadian permanent residents after. This is a popular route for European candidates who do not immediately qualify for permanent residence. See HOW TO BECOME CANADIAN PERMANENT RESIDENT – GUIDELINES and STUDY IN CANADA – STEP-BY-STEP GUIDES.
Do you have a high net worth or significant financial resources?
The federal and Quebec governments operate a number of business investor and entrepreneur immigration programs that offer excellent opportunities to European for obtaining Canadian permanent resident status. In addition many Canadian provinces offer business or investment streams under their PROVINCIAL NOMINEE PROGRAMS (PNPS) Provincial Nominee Programs. Some of the popular ones include Canada Start-up Visa Program and Quebec Immigrant Investor Program”.
Do you own and/or manage a business in your country in Europe?
Canada also aims to attract entrepreneurs and investors through its business immigration programs. These programs do accept many applications from Europe, New Zealand and Australia.
Your business ownership or managerial experience in your country often improves your eligibility for federal and provincial governments business investor and entrepreneur immigration programs. Start your free assessment today. You just may have the qualifications for many of these programs.
Do you have friends or relatives in Canada?
Canada also offers a number of Family Class Sponsorship programs. These programs allow Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor family members and loved ones for Canadian immigration.
If you are European or from Australia or New Zealand, and have a friend or close relative in Canada, you might be able to obtain Canadian permanent residence under the federal Family Class program. As well you will get points from the Provincial Nominee Program available in the province where they are resident. Our free assessment will help you identify programs that your application may benefit from these family relationships.
- Express Entry – Immigrate to Canada as a Skilled Worker
- Immigrate to Canada: How to create an Express Entry profile
- International Students: Study, work and stay in Canada
- CIC Processing Time – Canada Immigration