Family Class sponsor requirements - Canada Immigration Discussion Forum -
cic canada login
Need Canada immigration lawyer? See List

Canada Immigration Discussion Forum

Did you know that Express Entry Program allows Canada to actively recruit assess and select skilled immigrants under the following federal economic immigration programs: the Federal Skilled Worker Class; the Federal Skilled Trades Class; and the Canadian Experience Class? Use our Canada immigration discussion forum to get all the information you need.


Family Class sponsor requirements

Read the following information from Government of Canada and post any questions you may have for the forum:

1. Find out how to apply

Find out who can apply to become a sponsor.

Use our basic guide (IMM 5525) to help you with the application steps, including:

Does your spouse or partner want to work while they are living in Canada and waiting for their application to be processed?

If you’re sponsoring your spouse or partner under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada Class, they may be eligible for an open work permit. Find out how to apply.


When we receive your application, we’ll check your application package to make sure it’s complete.

If documents or fees are missing, we’ll stop processing your application and send it back to you.

If your application has all the required documents and fees, we’ll:

  • tell you that we started processing your application by:
    • email or
    • letter (if you don’t give us your email)
  • give you:
    • your file number
    • information about the next steps

2. Link your application to your online account

When we start processing your application, you’ll receive a letter with your application number.

After you get this letter, you or your representative have the option to link the application to an online account. This way, you can communicate with us quickly and securely and get updates and messages about your application online.


Find out how to create an online account and link your application to your account. If you have an authorized paid representative, they need to link your application to their account.

Having trouble? See the top questions about linking your application in the Help Centre.

3. Send us the additional documents we need

We’ll tell you exactly which documents you need to send us, such as your medical exam receipts.

You’ll get this information by mail, email or through your online account.

4. Track or update your application

During processing, track your application and make sure it's up to date by:

  • checking the status of your application
  • updating your address or other information, if necessary
  • adding or changing your representative, if necessary
  • withdrawing your application, if desired

If you want us to release your information to someone else, find out how to give someone else access to your information.


5. Prepare for arrival in Canada

While you’re still overseas, find pre-arrival services to help plan your life in Canada.

To prepare for arrival at the Canadian port of entry:

  • find out what documents you’ll need to show border officers
  • learn what information you’ll have to provide

Once you arrive, find services and information for new immigrants to help you start your life in Canada.

My spouse and I are hoping to get a visa to Canada, and while we are there, we are willing to work. We want to relocate and Canada is our dream country.

Please share this to help others:
Need Canada immigration attorney? See List of Lawyers
canada immigration express entry